Thursday, January 15, 2009

Where have I been?

So much has been going on that I had to take a time out from blogging, well on a personal level. My class blog, Hartmanhoolpa, has been going strong. Between our "Be the Change Unit" and the inauguration we have been crazy busy. Our anewbirthoffreedom google site is hopping with action. I was hesitant about doing the whole wiki/google site thing because I was dreading the teaching of wiki and all the responsibility that comes along with it, but luckily 3/4 of my students wikied last year, so life is good. The students are crazy about updating the google site. Not only are they researching and discussing the inauguration, but we are also tracking the first 40 days of his presidency and analyzing every move using google maps, calendar, and sites. During the actual inauguration they were live blogging with students from CIS 339 in the Bronx.
More importantly is the work we are doing to raise $ to buy solar cooker for Darfur refugees. I bookmarked a NJ Darfur site from the NJEA magazine (yes, I actually read it) in October and then this idea formed. We are actually now in contact with the organization and are in the process of setting up Skype chats with Darfur refugees. The hardest part of this is teaching empathy, if that is possible.

Also, I have been busy teaching my Google Guru classes and attending conferences. For the first time I co-presented with Patrick Higgins at the Classroom 2.0 Learning Institute. We had a great time.

No comments: