Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of School- A Gift with Challenges



I have to admit that I was a little taken aback by the lack of technology in my room to start off the year with. Back to a one computer classroom and a printer that does not work! I had so many technology aspirations stemming from summer inservice classes, but I am going to stay positive and hope these issues will be resolved soon.
I will have to say that I thought today's speaker, Jonathan Mooney, was excellent even if it had nothing to do with technology. I added his two books, The Short Bus: A Journey Beyond Normal and Learning Outside the Lines to the top of my must read list. It definitely made me think about past mistakes and a new way to think about learning differences. To think of ADD, ADHD etc. as a "gift with challenges" really opened my eyes. As a parent, it hit even harder. So many friends ask me how they can deal with their kids who learn differently because I am a teacher and now I can point them in a new direction/philosophy.

No comments: